A chance to own a piece of history!
Anderson Farmstead in Issaquah
Download the full Request for Proposals to relocate the historic Anderson House
Download the full Press Release announcing the RFP
The City of Issaquah is undertaking a stream restoration project on the Anderson Farmstead in order to improve the creek; help chinook salmon and other species; and give the community more natural space to enjoy. To accommodate this project, the Washington Trust for Historic Preservation (WTHP) is issuing an RFP to relocate the Anderson house – constructed circa 1900 and determined eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places – on behalf of the City and in partnership with the State Historic Preservation Officer (SHPO), the King County Historic Preservation Program (KCHPP), and the Washington State Recreation and Conservation Office (RCO) with the following stipulations:
- The Anderson House shall be removed from City property, with or without the rear (west) porch and detached bedroom. The City will not provide property for relocation of the house.
- The WTHP, KCHPP, and the Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation (DAHP) will have final determination of approval of the relocation plan based on accepted historic preservation standards outlined for the rehabilitation of the house.
- The House shall be offered for relocation and rehabilitation to a non-profit organization or to other private organizations and citizens in that order of priority.
- $250,000 (less administrative costs not to exceed $25,000) is available to assist with relocation and rehabilitation costs.
- The deadline to identify a recipient committed to relocating and rehabilitating the Anderson House is October 1, 2015. The house must be removed from the Farmstead by December 31, 2015.
According to a feasibility study performed by Hoshide Wanzer Williams Architects in 2014, the following describes the historic use of the house as well as its current condition.
Historic Use and Character
Tolle and Christina Anderson purchased 2.5 acres along the main and east branches of Issaquah Creek in 1899 and proceeded to construct their new home. The Anderson House had the living/dining room, kitchen and one bedroom on the main floor with two additional bedrooms on the upper floor. Sometime before the 1940’s the living/dining room was extended on the back (west side) of the house. After the 1940’s, another addition on the back of the house was done that included a porch and separate bedroom. The existing roof over the deck is a more recent addition. The structure has been used as the Anderson family residence until 2008 when the property was purchased by the City of Issaquah for a public park.
The original two-story portion of the Anderson House is relatively intact. The gable roof, horizontal wood drop siding, double-hung windows and brick chimney are all still in place. The only change in the primary façade (east elevation) is a relatively early extension of the front porch. The interior layout and woodwork is also intact. The character of the house with its straight-forward plan, form, and materials is a good example of the typical farmhouse or homestead of the period.
The original structure appears to be in fairly good condition except for the substandard foundation. There is a partial basement under part of the kitchen and bathroom, but the rest of the main floor framing is supported by posts and marginal pier blocks. There is evidence of settling and some of the floors and walls are not level and out of plumb.
The later additions, including the back porch and separate bedroom, are showing signs of deterioration. The bedroom structure is propped up on inadequate post foundations and the porch roof slope is very shallow.
Hazardous ACM materials have been abated by the City of Issaquah. Interior and exterior paint tested positive for lead.
Request for Proposals
Organizations/individuals interested in relocating the Anderson House should download the full Anderson House Request for Proposals
Proposals are due by 5:00pm Friday, September 4, 2015. A mandatory site visit is scheduled for Thursday, July 30 at 3:00pm to see the building and ask questions. Attendance at this site visit is required for any party interested in submitting a proposal.