THE STIMSONS & THE GREENS
C.D. and Harriet Stimson commissioned Spokane architect Kirtland Cutter to design the Stimson-Green Mansion, which was completed in 1901 and is one of Seattle’s most impressive examples of “eclectic architecture.” For more than a decade, the Stimsons lived in the home with their son, Tom, and their daughter, Dorothy. After the Stimsons moved to a larger home in The Highlands in 1914, Seattle businessman Joshua Green and his wife Laura purchased the house in 1915. For the next 60 years, the Green Family resided at “1204,” as it was known to them, raising their three children and entertaining family, friends and business associates; making very few changes to the building’s elaborate interior. In early January 1975, Mrs. Green died at the age of 101. Some three weeks later, her husband of more than 70 years died at the age of 105.
Historic Seattle purchased the property from the estate and obtained local landmark and National Register status before selling it with protective covenants. In 1986, Priscilla "Patsy" Bullitt Collins, the Stimsons’ granddaughter, purchased her mother’s childhood home and restored it as a venue for special events with the desire of giving others the opportunity to enjoy it as her family had originally done. In 2001 she donated the Stimson-Green Mansion to the Washington Trust for Historic Preservation, which makes its headquarters there and continues to preserve it and to operate it as a premier special events venue.
The front hall of the Stimson-Green Mansion
Mansion History & Interiors (pdf)