Maritime Washington National Heritage Area
- Build a network of cross-sector partners dedicated to advancing and honoring Washington’s maritime cultures
- Provide support and resources for communities and Tribes working to enhance and share maritime heritage
- Share diverse stories and increase visibility of Washington’s maritime heritage, past and present
- Encourage sustainable experiences of maritime heritage for residents and visitors alike
- Preserve our region’s unique maritime identity, resources, and lifeways
Honoring Our Indigenous Peoples
We acknowledge that the Maritime Washington National Heritage Area spans the usual and accustomed lands of many tribes who play a major role in the history of our state. We honor and pay our respect to our indigenous neighbors who protect and preserve these lands and waterways, as they have since time immemorial.
National Heritage Areas (NHAs) are designated by Congress as places where natural, cultural, and historic resources combine to form a cohesive, nationally important landscape. They can support historic preservation, economic development, environmental conservation, tourism, education, recreation, research, and more. NHAs are entirely non-regulatory, instead building partnerships to better tell the stories of these places and support communities in maintaining and sharing their unique resources.
This year, we’re working with local organizations and residents to determine what the NHA will look like and how it can best help our coastal communities. These collaborative efforts will culminate in a management plan for the MW-NHA, which will chart the course ahead for this new program. Check out the links below for more information on the establishment of the MW-NHA and how you can get involved.
Stay in the Loop
If you’d like to stay up-to-date about Maritime Washington National Heritage Area developments, join our email list or follow the MW-NHA on social media via the links below!
Questions? Contact Washington Trust Project Manager (and MW-NHA Captain) Alex Gradwohl at email@example.com.