Year Listed: 2017
Location: Valley, Stevens County
Valley, Washington’s “Little White Schoolhouse,” as it is known by locals, was built in 1916 as an annex for the original 1905 schoolhouse on the property. A brick schoolhouse was built in 1917 and expanded in 1926, but of the three historic buildings, only the annex remains. The schoolhouse served the school district in a variety of capacities through the years, but is currently vacant. District officials nonetheless hope to see it preserved as does the Valley Historical Society, which is making plans for relocating the building to a new site where its preservation and restoration for the community will continue.
Led by passionate local advocate Melissa Silvio, the Valley Historical Society spent three years rallying funds to move the schoolhouse, using every avenue including private donations, grants (including our own Valerie Sivinski Fund!), and even a recipe book sale. On July 15, 2020, house movers Jeff Monroe and Don Shaw successfully moved the schoolhouse to the Valley Fairgrounds and is in the process of receiving a new foundation. There’s still a lot to be done to realize the Valley Historical Society’s vision of creating a community center that will feature historical displays and interpretation, local art, and space for events and meetings.