William O. McKay Ford

Status: SAVED!

Year Listed: 2005

Location: King County

Sited at the busy intersection of Westlake Avenue and Mercer Street, several buildings make up this historic car
dealership. Built in 1922, the two-story terra cotta structure at the center of the block initially housed William O. McKay’s Ford auto sales and garage business. In 1925, the more ornate, one-story, terra cotta showroom building at the corner was built for McKay’s Lincoln sales and service. The richness and detail of the terra cotta ornament found in the 1925 building make this structure one of Seattle’s finest examples of terra cotta cladding

Snoqualmie Falls Lumber Company Power Plant

Status: Still Standing

Year Listed: 2005

Location: King County

With its prominent brick smokestack rising 211 feet, the Snoqualmie Falls Lumber Company Plant is the primary remnant of what was once an extensive mill development, which included a company town of 5,000 residents. When the mill was constructed in 1917, it was the second, all-electric mill operation in the nation and the first of its kind to employ electric powered yarding, loading, and cutting operations in the woods.

Schooner Wawona

Status: Lost

Year Listed: 2005

Location: King County

Built in Fairhaven, CA, in 1897, the Schooner Wawona is one of the largest three-masted schooners ever built on the West Coast and was one of two remaining Pacific schooners out of a fleet of over 400 that engaged in the coastal commercial lumber trade and in the Alaska cod fishery until she was dismantled in 2009. After falling out of active use in 1950, civic leaders raised money and awareness to purchase the ship as a museum in 1964.

Roslyn Old City Hall and Library

Status: SAVED!

Year Listed: 2005

Location: Kittitas County

The Northwest Improvement Company originally constructed the Roslyn Old City Hall & Library as a recreation and social hall in 1902, when it was known as the Roslyn Athletic Club. The company’s coal miners and their families enjoyed the bowling alley, swimming pool, ball courts, and community gathering area contained within the modest wood frame structure. In 1918, the City of Roslyn acquired the property, and it has been the seat of local government since then.

Red Brick Road (Ronald Place North)

Status: Lost

Year Listed: 2005

Location: King County

Dating from 1913, Shoreline’s Red Brick Road along Ronald Place North is the last exposed section of the first paved highway through northwest King County, making it one of the most historic and significant features of Shoreline. The road’s two-fold significance lies in its association with the history of transportation in King County
and in its association with Judge James T. Ronald, a pioneer and prominent local resident.

Puget Power Building

Status: Lost

Year Listed: 2005

Location: King County

When the Puget Power Building was constructed in 1956 as the headquarters for the Puget Power and Light Company, the modern structure was considered a landmark because its four-story height made it the tallest building in Bellevue.

Preston-Shaffer Milling Company

Status: Lost

Year Listed: 2005

Location: Walla Walla County

Constructed in 1865, the Preston-Shaffer Milling Company or Wait’s Mill operated continuously for 92 years until it closed in 1957. The historic town of Waitsburg owes its existence to the mill, one of the oldest operating mills west of the Mississippi at the time of its closure.

Packard House

Status: Lost

Year Listed: 2005

Location: Skagit County

Occupying a prominent waterfront site on Fidalgo Bay, the Packard House is among the finest and most faithful Federal Revival-style buildings in the region and the only one in Anacortes. Modeled on George Washington’s Mount Vernon estate, the home was built in 1930 for Charles Q. Adams, a great-grandson of President John Quincy Adams.

Fort Walla Walla/Jonathan M. Wainwright Memorial VA Medical Center

Status: Still Standing

Year Listed: 2005

Location: Walla Walla County

The Jonathan M.Wainwright Memorial VA Medical Center (VAMC) is located on the grounds of what was once Fort Walla Walla, one of the oldest military posts established in the Pacific Northwest (1856-58). In 1921-22, the facility was converted for use as a hospital and came under the jurisdiction of what is now the U.S.Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Constructed between 1858 and 1906, the remaining historic buildings from the military era include the officers’ quarters, stable, and infantry barracks—among the oldest structures in the state. Additional buildings constructed in the 1920s and ‘30s for hospital use remain today.

Donovan District

Status: Still Standing

Year Listed: 2006, 2005

Location: Snohomish County

This local historic district of over 80 Cottage and Tudor style homes was built between 1925 and 1931 by Edward W. Donovan, a prominent local real estate entrepreneur. These modest but well-built structures answered the need for affordable single-family housing when Everett was growing in the 1920s, and they continue to serve this function today.

Camp Yeomalt WPA Log Cabin

Status: SAVED!

Year Listed: 2005

Location: Bainbridge Island, Kitsap County

The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed this log cabin in 1935 as a federal relief project. In 1938, the local Boy Scouts of America chapter purchased the cabin and for the next 50 years operated it as Camp Hopkins. It also served as a recreation hall for soldiers during World War II. In 1987, the Bainbridge Island Parks & Recreation District acquired the property, which became known as Camp Yeomalt. Currently, the original log cabin is closed to the public due to its deteriorated condition.

Camp Waskowitz

Status: Still Standing

Year Listed: 2005

Location: King County

Camp Waskowitz, home of Highline School District’s nationally recognized environmental education program, is the oldest outdoor school program in the country. In 1935, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed the facility to serve as its base camp for Forest Service projects in the Snoqualmie Valley area. Out of more than 4,000 “temporary” CCC camps built nationwide, it is one of the few remaining that retains its original design integrity and “rustic utilitarian” feel.